One of the most beautiful churches in Sofia is called "The Russian Church Saint Nicholas". It’s located at "Rakovski" and "Tsar Osvoboditel" crossroad. It was built between 1907-1914. It was designed by the Russian architect M.Preobrazhenski. The frescoes were created by Russian artists headed by Vailiy Perminov. On the iconostasis there are four icons - copies of the icons in the Kiev cathedral "St. Vladimir." The five small domes of the church are gilded, and the bells were donated by impetator Russian Nikolai II. After 1947 the church was handed over to the diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate, which manages it today.
In the crypt of the Russian church is the tomb of Archbishop Seraphim Sobolev, who in 1921 was its trustee. In his lifetime, and after his death, he was a very religious, "holy" man. He spent the hours of the day praying for others' health and prosperity. That’s why today there is a room in the crypt where worshipers write their wishes on a piese os paper and put them into wooden boxes, so that Saint Seraphim can assist for their fulfillment!