The Church St. George Rotonda is the only building from the IV century not only in Sofia but also in Bulgaria, which has been completely preserved until today with it’s whole roof! It is the oldest architectural monument in Sofia. There are many assumptions about its purpose - mausoleum, ceremonial building, but style is associated with other buildings of "Constantinople neighborhood." It is clear, however, that in the IV century rotunda was already a church and was built during the reign of the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great in the prime of the ancient city of Serdika. There were laid the relics of Bulgarian saint Ivan Rilski during their transfer from Tarnovo to Rila Monastery. During the Ottoman rule over Bulgaria the chirch was converted into a mosque named Gul mosque.
After the liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule in 1878 the chirch was deserted, and after the death of Prince Alexander Battenberg was turned into a temporary mausoleum.
The Church St. George Rotunda is located in the courtyard of the Presidency of Bulgaria. It represents a cylindrical domed building on a square base with a width of about 9.50 meters in diameter and a height of 14 meters.
During the restoration of the chirch (begun 1915 Goscinny) were found three layers of medieval frescoes dating form the XVI century. According to historians and archaeologists the frescoes were made in the middle of the X century and depict scenes of Annunciation, Baptism of Christ, and also the four evangelists and five saints.
Today daily services are performed in the temple and inside you can hear singing or also known as Byzantine music (music for the ears !!!).