History - City Archaeological studies prove that in these places there were people in the Cooper-Stone Age (Chalcolithic) – between the 5th and the 4th millennium BC. In the city's vicinity are the remains of Thracian settlements (5th–3rd century BC), a Roman settlement (2nd–4th century AD) and a fortress from the early Byzantine period (5th–6th century). A Bulgarian settlement was founded in the 10th century during the First Bulgarian Empire, however due to its proximity to the capital Preslav, it did not develop until the 12th century. In the 12th century, due to its location on a main road from the new capital Veliko Turnovo, a fortress by the name "Сборище" (Sborishte) was built. In the 18th and 19th centuries it became a famous market for animals and craft products called Eski Cuma ("old bazaar" in Turkish). A monastical school was opened in the 18th century and a secular one, called the Slaveykov School and situated in the old Varosha Quarter was established in 1846, with Petko Slaveykov being a teacher there; a chitalishte was also built. Industrial development began after the Second World War. Factories producing car batteries and machines for the food industry were opened; later, furniture and textile industries developed. One of Bulgaria's largest wine production factories is located there. Targovishte is home to one of the largest glass factories in Europe. The investment in the factory was $380,000,000 and employs 1,500 people. The town is a cultural centre. In 2000, ruins of an Ancient Roman town called Missionis (Мисионис) were unearthed near Targovishte. The town art gallery named after the eminent Bulgarian arstist Nikola Marinov, who was born here, has a considerable collection of his works. The local football team is called PFC Svetkavitsa ("lightning") and plays in the B PFG. The city is also noted for its shooting sports traditions. There is also a drama theatre and a puppet theatre. Viticulture and wine making in the area of Targovishte date back to ancient times. Various archaeological findings provide evidence for the lifestyle and customs in the region, related to this divine elixir. LVK–Vinprom, Targovishte, inherited the ancient wine making traditions in this land. The company was established in 1947, as a result of the merger of several small wine cellars in the area of Targovishte, and through the years has had both times of revival and periods of hardship. Overcoming the difficulties of the present, LVK–Vinprom builds its future on its extensive experience, yet complying with the requirements of modern winemaking.
LVK–Vinprom is one of the few companies in the town, which successfully restructured its production process in the years of transition, maintaining most of the jobs, its positions on the local market and the majority of its foreign customers.